Project Overview and Role
- Health Policy Plus (HP+) is a USAID-funded five-year $185 million project awarded to Palladium on August 28, 2015. HP+ mandate is across the global, country, and subnational levels to strengthen and advance health policy priorities in family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH), HIV, and maternal health. It aims to improve the enabling environment for equitable and sustainable health services, supplies, and delivery systems through policy development and implementation, with an emphasis on voluntary, rights-based health programs, and by strengthening in-country partners’ capacity to navigate complex environments for effective policy design, implementation, and financing aligned to their priorities. The Central elements of HP+ revolve around building in-country capacity, institutionalizing achievements of past investments and promoting country ownership of programs and initiatives.
- In Nigeria HP+ as part of it support, is working with Abia, Ebonyi, Osun and FCT Primary Health Care Development Board (PHCB) to strengthen and advance the health policy priorities particularly in the area of achieving Primary Health Care Under One Roof (PHCUOR) compliance.
- Human Resources for Health (HRH) is one of the nine pillars that the PHCB is being assessed for PHCUOR compliance. It is believed that human resources constitute one of the most important resources in health as it consumes about 70% of the state health budget and therefore demands effective planning and management for PHC system to achieve better health outcomes.
- The Objective of this consultancy assignment is to provide technical assistance to HP+ 3 supported States and FCT Primary Health Care Board SPHCB to produce documents and tools that will foster PHCB ability to plan, develop and manage human resources towards improvement in quality of care at the PHC level. HP+ will hire a total of four consultants, one for each supported state.
Scope of Work:
- The consultant will work with the Senior Governance Advisor and State PHC Advisors to support the SPHCDAs in Abia, Osun, Ebonyi states and FCT to develop staff nominal roll, Human Resource for Health policy and strategy documents aligning with the guidelines of the NPHCDA to develop a policy/strategy which contains clear mechanisms for recruitment forecasting, redistribution, production, succession planning, capacity building, performance management including rewards and recognition and consequence management.
The specific tasks of the selected consultant will include:
- Desk review of relevant documents
- Stakeholder engagements to obtain relevant information for developing policy documents
- Hold a workshop/meeting for the development of human resource policy
- Hold a workshop/meeting for the development of human resource strategic plan
- Engage stakeholders to obtain relevant information for developing PHC staff nominal roll
- Facilitate a validation meeting and finalize documents
Separately for FCT, Osun, Abia and Ebonyi each of the following 3 documents:
- Human Resource for Health Policy
- Human Resource for Health Strategy /plan
- PHC Staff nominal roll
- Validated HRH policy and strategy
Overall for the consultancy:
- Final consultancy report containing a synthesis of lessons learned across the states, including but not limited to common challenges across the states, solutions found during the process, adaptations across states and lessons learned for other states in Nigeria.
- The expected period of performance for this assignment is 30 days per consultant per state between the period of April and May 2019. A total of four consultants will be hired with one consultant working per State including FCT.
- At least 5 years’ experience in providing technical guidance in human resource for health planning and development in Nigeria preferred.
- Experience in supporting PHC strengthening reforms related toon Human Resources for Health analysis, policy and plans
- Understanding of the Nigerian Health system, national and state level policies and guidelines related to HRH, and the PHC system, including the challenges and barriers facing the country around HRH planning and implementation.
- Understanding of the nature and functioning of public sector organizations especially the health sector
- Knowledgeable on HR information and database management systems and processes
- Excellent report writing skills and good computer skills.
Desired or preferred qualifications:
- A university Degree or equivalent in Public Health Administration, HR, Medical Education, Project/Program Management or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in areas such as HRH, health financing, data management.
To apply for this job please visit palladiumhr.secure.force.com.