Nigerian army should release Nnamdi Kanu now-Ejiofor

One year after the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra,
Nnamdi Kanu, got missing following soldiers’ invasion of his home
in Afaraukwu, Abia State, on September 14, 2017, his lawyer,
Ifeanyi Ejiofor, has asked the military to explain his whereabouts.
In a statement on Friday, Ejiofor who said he received a distress
call from Kanu in the middle of the military operation at his home,
also called on various international organisations to activate
“possible diplomatic channel” to probe “crimes against humanity.”
The military had in September last year deployed soldiers in the
South-East in what it code-named Operation Python Dance to quell
the agitation for the actualisation of the Republic of Biafra.
The soldiers, during the operation, invaded the home of Kanu, who
was then on bail granted him by the Federal High Court in Abuja
where he was being prosecuted alongside others on charges of
treasonable felony.
Justice Binta Nyako of the Federal High Court in Abuja, before
whom Kanu and others were being prosecuted, had however ruled
in a judgment she delivered in January 2018 that there was no
evidence showing that the missing IPOB leader was in the custody
of the Army.
The suit was filed by Ejiofor.
However, in his Friday’s statement titled, “Remembering the ‘Black
Day’ at Afaraukwu and attendant unending agony,” Ejiofor
recounted what he said was his last communication with Kanu
during the military operation at the IPOB leader’s home.
He stated, “I remember vividly the last words of my client on this
cursed day. It went thus: ‘Ejiofor, my house is under siege, soldiers
are forcing themselves in, shooting at everything in sight, you can
hear the sound of the sporadic gunshots from the background;
please alert the world to the development in my house.
“I can see it clearly from my room that they have gunned down
many of my people downstairs, as they advance rapidly to my
room; my life is no longer safe; tell the British Government, the
United States and the world that the Nigerian government should
be held responsible if anything happens to me.’”
Calling on foreign governments, international organisations,
including the United Nations and the European Union to probe the
invasion, Ejiofor called on the military to release his client.
He said, “We use this moment of sober reflection to once again call
on responsible international organisations, foreign governments,
United Nations, European Union, the British government and the
comity of nations, to immediately activate possible diplomatic
channel that would ensure prompt probe of this crime against
humanity and accurate inventory of murderous military onslaught
in the home of Nnamdi Kanu and his whereabouts till date.

Can the south east (Igbo speaking tribe) produce the next Nigerian President come 2023?
Be the first to get updated. Subscribe to our newsletter

2 Comments

  1. Yeah man

  2. Yeah

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>




Enter Captcha Here :