General

Relatives besiege Anambra burnt morgue to identify charred corpses

Share

Relatives of corpses burnt in a mortuary gutted by fire in Enugwu Ukwu in Njikoka local government area of Anambra State have besieged it to identify charred remains of their deceased loved ones.

 

The Mortuary had gone up in flames on December 29 evening, and burnt beyond recognition, corpses preserved there by relatives.

 

A visit to the scene of the incident showed that about three days after the incident, relatives of deceased persons kept in the morgue were still trooping to the scene to identify the charred corpses of their loved ones.

 

It was however a pathetic sight as some of the relatives of the deceased cried profusely over their inability to identify the corpses of their loved ones among the charred remains assembled in a corner.

 

DAILY POST also noticed that security presence at the scene has been enhanced, just as security officials had a field day trying to stop some relatives of the burnt corpses from harming themselves.

 

Over 50 corpses stored in the morgue had been burnt beyond recognition on 29th December by a mystery fire, whose cause was yet to be ascertained.

 

A source said that few of the corpses which were identified had been transfered to Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu Teaching hospital in Awka, while others had been assembled for their relatives to identify.

 

Mr Chima Eze, an engineer, said he came on the fateful day to see the remains of their brother, whose body was deposited two weeks back, but was denied access into the Mortuary only to receive call at 3pm when he was already at home that the Mortuary had gone up in flame.

 

He lamented that they had yet to identify his remains and were awaiting Morticians from Awka to determine what cause of action to take concerning that.

 

Mr Sunday Onuorah, whose brother was deposited two weeks ago, also lamented that the incident was double jeopardy for him and his relatives.

 

“We were still crying over sudden death of my brother before this sad news of fire came. We are trying to keep this from getting to our mother for the fear of losing her too as she is currently hypertensive,’’ Onuora said.

 

A source said the hospital management had been in various meetings and consultations on what steps to take about the unidentified remains. The source said the hospital may be left with no option than to ask relatives of the deceased to pick and bury any remain they can find.phase 1 to be commissioned in April

In a bold move to free Edo people and residents from the stranglehold of the inefficient Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) and undo the endless cycle of darkness foisted on electricity consumers in the state, Governor Godwin Obaseki on Wednesday, visited the 55 Megawatts CCETC-Ossiomo Power plant as the facility prepares to commence operation.

 

 

Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki (left); Director, CCETC Clean Energy/Ossiomo Power Plant, Dr. Uwa Igiehon (second left); and Plant Administrator, Di Xiaohui (second right), during the governor’s inspection of ongoing construction work at the CCETC Clean Energy/Ossiomo Power Plant site in Ologbo, Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area, Edo State, on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.

Addressing journalists after inspecting facilities and progress of work at the CCETC Clean Power/Ossiomo Power Plant, in Ologbo, near Benin City, Obaseki said the first phase of the project will be commissioned in April and would make more electricity available for distribution in the state.

 

He said the construction of transmission lines to deliver the power from the site to the city centre would soon commence, as the first set of equipment for the project would arrive from China in the first quarter of this year.

 

FG woos investors to 2, 100 MW hydro power projects

 

According to him, “We believe that before the end of the first quarter of the year, the first 5MW would be delivered to light up government offices and streets within the Sapele Road corridor of Benin City.”

 

He explained that “to ease distribution of the power, a substation would be set up around Kings Square, which would power streets in the city.”

 

The governor added: “We are concluding transaction to light up 200 Kilometres of our streets across the city. When the plant is completed, it will free up some electricity for the state. We believe that if the megawatts produced increase, the distribution company will have more power to distribute to other cities in the state.

 

“The ordinary Edo people will benefit from this power arrangement because there is an arrangement to drop power in certain processing centres where artisans can move into and do their businesses with the assurance of steady power supply.”

 

Director, CCETC Clean Energy/Ossiomo Power Plant, Dr. Uwa Igiehon, said the power plant is a joint venture between a Chinese Company, CCETC Clean Energy and Ossiomo Power to build a 55Megawatts plant in the state.

 

Delta community accuses NPDC of of marginalisation

 

He said the power plant started in August 2018 and would be delivered in the next four to five months.

 

“We will be using natural gas from a 50-metre gas pipeline close to the site. The project will be in phases with the first phase of 5 megawatts to be delivered to the state government.”

 

The governor was also at the 1800-housing unit Emotan Gardens on Upper Sokponba Road, to see the extent of work at the estate.

6 Comments

  1. That is how miracles work

  2. Hmmmmmm

  3. hmmmm

  4. Na waa

  5. OK

  6. Ok

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>