According to Senator Shehu Sani from Kaduna State, below are the reasons for extreme poverty in Northern Nigeria.
1. Neglect of Agriculture and dependence on oil revenues;
2. Decadence and collapse of public education;
3. Fatalism;Septic extremism and toxic inter ethnic violence;
4. Abandoning the moral and ethical standards and economic vision and legacies of Ahmadu Bello;
5. Culpability of successive Northern leaders in power;entrenched Handouts culture;
6. Pliant attitudinal incumbrance of refusing to challenge leaders and hold them to account or the Slavery of loyalty or inimical subservience;
7. Decades of systemic marginalization,emasculation and oppression and
8. Institutional contempt for the poor by the regional elites.