Sport is not just entertainment these days; it is the new drugs for the money makers. According to the Forbes players list of top earners in 2018, the top ten players in the world of sport made a combined staggering sum of $1.06billion, with the Retired boxer “Money” Floyd Mayweather topping the list with a mouthwatering income of $285million.
The 41year old boxer, displaced Juventus poster boy, Cristiano Ronaldo, after making most of his earnings from last year fight with Conor McGregor, which made him the best athlete for the fouth time in seven years.In second place is the football wizard, Luis Lionel Andre “Leo” Messi.
The Argentina and Barcelona Captain is the highest earner in the footballing world with a total sum of $111million, having signed a contract extension in November 2017 that worth a take home of $84million in salary and winning bonuses, with another $27million in endorsement deals.
While in third position is the former Real Madrid forward Cristaino Ronaldo, with a lifetime endorsement deal with Nike that worth in excess of $1billion, he made $61million in salary and winning alone and $47million in endorsement deal annually.
The top ten includes the following
1. Floyd Mayweather $285million – Boxing
2. Lionel Messi $111million – Football
3. Cristiano Ronaldo $108million – Football
4. Conor McGregor $99million – Boxing/UFC
5. Neymar Jnr. $90million – Football
6. LeBron James $85.5million – NBA
7. Roger Federer $77.2million – Tennis
8. Stephen Curry $76.9million – NBA
9. Mattt Ryan $67.3million – NFL
10. Matthew Stafford $59.5million – NFL
In another data emanating from Sporting Intelligence’s annual “Global Sport Salaries Survey” which examine the first team salary for 349 teams across 18 different sports in 18 different leagues around the world . It is not a surprise that these teams average a combined $22.2billion in annual wages.
With Fc Barcelona the new highest paid sport team in the world with an averages of $13.8million, and Messi being the highest paid player in the team, having return to number 1 spot ranking since 2012. In the number 10 spot is Manchester United clocking $8.6million at an average, having ranked 23rd in the year 2017, with Alexis Snchez as the highest earner with $23.2million.
The top ten includes the following
1. Barcelona – $13.8million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Leo Messi – $33.1million Sport: Football League: La Liga
2. Real Madrid – $10.6million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Gareth Bale – $23.2.1million Sport: Football League: La Liga
3. Oklahoma City Thunder – $10.3million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Russell Westbrook – $35.7million Sport: Basketball League: NBA
4. Golden State Warriors – $10.3million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Stephen Curry – $37.5million Sport: Basketball League: NBA
5. Washington Wizards – $10.0million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Otto Porter Jr. – $26million Sport: Basketball League: NBA
6. Toronto Raptors – $9.97million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Kyle Lowry – $31.2million Sport: Basketball League: NBA
7. Houston Rockets – $9.85million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Chris Paul – $35.7million Sport: Basketball League: NBA
8. Maimi Heat – $9.26million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Hassan Whiteside – $24.4million Sport: Basketball League: NBA
9. Juventus – $8.85million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Cristiano Ronaldo – $33.9million Sport: Foottball League: Serie A
10. Manchester United – $8.6million (avg. pay per player)
Highest paid player – Alexis Sanchez – $23.2million Sport: Football League: EPL